Drying tent

BreezeEazy

The time has come to test a dry tent. Would like to re run this through everyone.

So I set up my grow tent. Its going to be my drying area. Seems like a good reuse keeping light out and everything else in. Window ac unit to keep temp in check, mostly needed if I decide to stick a dehumidifier in there to keep it from getting too high. I also have a ultrasonic humidifier I plan on putting in there to keep from getting too dry. At this point it almost sounds like a dog chasing its tail. Im aiming for 75F and 50% rh. Hang the plants up at the top, fan on the floor to move air but not blowing directly on the plants.

Thats the plan currently anyways. Open to input.

Attachments

• 20190103_195323_crop_684x982.jpg
    20190103_195323_crop_684x982.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 1
Sounds like a plan! Being prepared to dry or moisten is actually a good idea. We've lived in climates where one would be used much more than the other...

:puffpuffpass:

Breeze, what's the ambient temperature in the room where you've set up the tent? 75F is too warm for drying imho, you want a lower temp, say in the low 60s. Otherwise you lose terpenes.

I am considering setting up a drying tent in my (cool, 55-60F) basement. To control humidity in the tent, I will probably set up an exhaust fan on a humidistat (a hat tip to SparkOne for the design ideas). Humidity in the tent goes up, fan comes on and brings in drier air until the humidity drops below a set value (around 60% RH). A small fan inside the tent to circulate the air. A dehumidifier in the basement (not in the tent, produces too much heat) will keep the ambient RH around 55-60%.

Keep in mind that the air conditioner you are planning to use will dehumidify as well. I think the humdifier and dehumidifier inside the tent is overkill. :2c:

Ill have to check the temp in my room. I dont have the ability to control the environment so my rooms piggy back off the central system. About the best I can do is open and close the vents that feed the rooms. It may not be ideal, but they stay pretty close. I also thought about using those cheap $20 4" fan to bring air in and out instead of using the dehumidifier.

The temp came from a guy who was talking about drying, saying that a temp of 75 and 50% rh emulates a virgina tobacco slant barn with wind blowing under the plants and not on them. Claiming it gives good vapor pressure in the air to keep terps on the plant. But I also know a lot of people do a cooler dry temp. When he brought up vapor pressure it made since because I know people running sealed rooms follow that vappr pressure chart.

Its all really confusing when you there are so many conflicting answers on the web. Kind of why I want a controlled tent to dry in so I can play around, dial things in, and then be consistent.

Reactions: 180
I'm facing the same problem...my harvest is far to big to dry it like I usually to so my tents will be used for drying...I plan to hang the trimmed stalks and keep lights off but ac running at 74 degrees...my concern is using a fan in a 5' x 5' area...don't want too much air movement...too much breeze will dry them too fast...

Why 74? Im so lost. Some people do a cold dry and some people are doing warmer. Id imagine a small fan at the bottom not directly blowing on the plants will be kosher. Thats what I plan on buying. I already had everything else on hand so, other than the cost of wood and screws to frame the ac unit and a fan, I'm doing pretty well I think if it works out.

Maybe a smaller sized fan for smaller air movement.
Back in the OG days a guy had a huge drying cabinet run by a 4” A/C computer style fan for air movement and his thread was popular with the more experienced growers.

The cabinet was about 8’ wide x 4’ high x 4’ deep with mesh sliding shelves.
Not much smaller than a tent.
I wanted to try that.

What's ideal 62F or 64F humidity 45 55%, remember hang, trim , paper bags to stabal8ze, then jar, sponge.........
I recently got a sealed package sponge......just perfect for flowers

Can I make QwET with 75 proof everclear

See, everyone has their own preference. Curious how many people have played with different variables.

Isnt qwet suppose to be high percent? Might be a question for greywolf? Or the people that are expert extractors, what ever that site was. They have a great qwet tek.

The commercial grow I used to work at kept the temperature about 62° F and 64%rh for 5 - 7 days.

Back