Droopy leaves on seedlings, help please.

Tom Sawyer

Hey all, here are the 2 Blueberry Cheesecake and 5 Lost Coast Hashplant seedlings that I put under my new LED lamp. They have grown but their leaves look like they are sad for some reason. At first they had some slight yellowing but a bit of epsom salts watered in cleared that right up but I'm at a loss as to why their leaves appear so droopy. I watered them last night as the soil was almost dried through, and fed them once with a low dose of Biothrive Grow the last time I watered them, last Wednesday.Thoughts please.100_4061.jpg100_4062.jpg

Hey Tom have you used the led light before? When I first started using an led my clones looked just like that. I think it was because the light was a bit too intense and the tent was cooler then running an hid light.

No Variety, I have never ran any LED's before. I have it set at about 90% and these seedlings are just 3.5 weeks old so it very well could be too intense lighting. Temps in all my rooms have now dropped as well, so that may be an issue as well. Guess I should dial back the dimmer a bit for starters.

Yep sounds like your in the same boat. Get your temps around 80 so they start to eat again. [MENTION=4224]digger[/MENTION] May have time to chime in as well.

They look over watered from the puffy leaves, but turn the dimmer down on the LED too and see if that helps. Did you pop holes in the cups to let them drain?

Put a thermometer in that room. Temps are 73 F right now. Never would have believed I'd get that low of temps in any grow room at my latitude at the tail end of summer. So glad I pulled the trigger and switched. First I'll try partially closing the hvac vent and see if I can get temps up a bit.

They look over watered from the puffy leaves, but turn the dimmer down on the LED too and see if that helps. Did you pop holes in the cups to let them drain?

Yessir, all those cups had 5 1/4 inch holes in the bottom for drainage. Not going to rule out too much H2o though, that was a thought I had.

I would agree with Variety that the lights are probably the culprit. 73 F is not "perfect" but it's not low enough to shut them down.

LEDs take some getting used to; for one thing, they are brighter than they seem. Can be too strong for young plants. How far is your light source from the plants?

I would agree with Variety that the lights are probably the culprit. 73 F is not "perfect" but it's not low enough to shut them down.

LEDs take some getting used to; for one thing, they are brighter than they seem. Can be too strong for young plants. How far is your light source from the plants?

Had them 18 inches away at first. After Variety chimed in I lifted them to 24 inches away. Should I back them off more?

So mostly too much light intensity, and some over watering seems to be the consensus. Light is now 40 inches above the leaves. Now I know this will sound silly as hell but should I worry about my other rooms or is the light intensity just a problem for seedlings? Last thing I want is for plants well into flower freaking out because the lighting was changed mid grow.

After seeing your plants in your thread I would just finish them off with the lights you have on them because t hey look great. But if you do decide I would make sure you can match the temp they have now with the led. If you switch to led and the temp is 10 degrees cooler that could be a problem. Maybe someone else has had experience switching the lights in flower can chime in.

After seeing your plants in your thread I would just finish them off with the lights you have on them because t hey look great. But if you do decide I would make sure you can match the temp they have now with the led. If you switch to led and the temp is 10 degrees cooler that could be a problem. Maybe someone else has had experience switching the lights in flower can chime in.

I considered leaving them be Variety, but in the last 3 weeks I had one ballast fail and 2 lamps go out on me. I'm done with HID now. The temps are down about 10 degrees F give or take, but I'll have to deal with that. Also, the ballasts are demounted and they and the reflectors are stored away.

Just small plants bud. Flowering plants are good 12-18 inches . If you notice cupping raise them.

Cool man, appreciate it and will be watching out.

try something for me...lift up on each leaf from the underside...does it feel stiff ? like you get resistance when you try to lift it up...kinda like its in a stiff curve formation....elk..

try something for me...lift up on each leaf from the underside...does it feel stiff ? like you get resistance when you try to lift it up...kinda like its in a stiff curve formation....elk..

I tried that for you and didn't notice any resistance. And just to get a measure I did that in all 3 flower rooms I run. They all felt the same, to me anyway.

i was just trying to rule out a nute over fert....

Yeah, I was pretty sure it was not too much food. The one time I fed them I was using Bio Thrive Grow and it was just 1/2 teaspoon to 1 gallon water and each plant had less than 1 cup of that mix. A real low dose nute solution.

Okay, this problem appears to have been solved. Sunday evening I popped a couple of these girls out of their cups to check the roots. They were all nice and white and curling around at the bottom so I moved them to their forever home, aka 3 gallon bags. Last night I went in there and trimmed off the yellowing leaves. Here is how they look an hour after light came on.
100_4076.jpg100_4077.jpg100_4078.jpg
Thanks for the help Islanders, it's much appreciated.

Back