Diy arched pvc greenhouse

2broke2smoke

professional pothead
I want to nake an arched pvc greenhouse. All the plans I see are using 1.25" or some have used 1" pvc. My question is could I get away with using 1/2" pvc as I have a lot of it laying around. My planned size is going to be 10' x10' x 30' I plan to set the hoops on 36" centers with supports at the top and about 5' off the ground. I plan to cover it with insect netting over the top and chicken wire up the sides. Any helpful advice on this project will be greatly appreciated:D

2b2s

following. Thirty mph winds today, which is not unusual, here. I've seen really nice gh's crumpled up in a pond. When we replaced windows in the house, i had the old ones saved, also have half a patio door that came with a small crack in the corner. I keep vascilating as whether to use them in a gh-type application, or as a sunroom for the chicken house.

So sounds like 1/2 inch pvc wont hold up to strong winds. I am going to anchor it with T posts, so if it doesn't collapse on itself it will not be going anywhere. Working on a limited budget but have a deer/rabbit/opossum/raccoon problem in the vegatable/marijuana garden:D

2b2s

Last edited:
pvc is amazing stuff but 1/2" isn't nearly strong enough.

You could mass market EZ cloners with all that 1/2" pipe ! :)

Hi [MENTION=1581]2broke2smoke[/MENTION]! Hope this helps https://handymath.com/cgi-bin/rad2.cgi its an arch calculator to give you an idea of how many feet of PVC you would need to build the hoop house that tall and wide. 1/2" seems a little small for as tall as you want it, however, if longevity isnt a concern and winds arent that big a deal, maybe go for it. Using the calculator, it seems you'll need 277' of PVC to make enough arches. The calculate didnt give me that number but it will give you how many feet of pipe is needed to make an arch.

hey nanny, I have came across many plans that have rebar stuck inside of pvc pipe. my initial thought was that it runs up the cost a lot for little benefit. Rebar by itself would definitely be strong enough. I would have to get it in 20' lengths instead of the 10' lengths of pvc, so no problem with the fastening at the top of the arch. Defiantly worth investigating:D

2b2s

Back