[Breeding Journal] 1968 Saipan Island Sativa (Licorice IBL) x SR71 Purple Kush BC1 F5

During the Vietnam War, some of my dad’s old friends from school (who were now soldiers at war) brought seeds from Vietnam into Saipan Island. This happened in 1968 (my dad was born in 1948; so they were in their early 20s).

According to my dad, these were the ORIGINAL strains on our islands (as weed isn’t native to the Northern Marianas). He also told me that one of the soldiers got the nickname “slow” because he smoked this weed all the time and it made him slow because of it. (I thought this was pretty funny because this guy is an old ass man and he STILL uses the nickname “slow” lol).

These Vintage 1968 Vietnam Landrace Sativas have been line bred on Saipan ever since 1968 (never outcrossed ; only separated into different heirloom selections). The seeds have a 24 week flowering time (12/12 straight from seed). ALL of our vintage sativas from Saipan go 6 months 12/12 from seed (we are so close to the equator that we get 12 hours of full sun everyday 7am-7pm ; and when I was there in the 90s and early 2000s nobody was doing clones or indoor veg rooms yet. 6 month flowering time was the “common knowledge” for these strains).

The seeds were probably Open Pollination too. Because every village on our Island has their own different heirloom seed selection from this line. As do other nearby Islands like Rota, Palau & Chuuck.
IMG_3698.jpeg
IMG_3697.jpeg

In 1985, the Chuuck Islands did a 5 month study to find out how marijuana came to Chuuck. What they found was that marijuana DID in fact originate from Saipan in the late 60s. Rumors say Peace Corps. But my dad was really there at the time, and he says it was Army Corps from Vietnam.

Link: Marijuana in Chuuck
IMG_3692.jpeg

One of my old class mates sent me some pics of him growing some of my Uncle Joe’s heirloom selections.
IMG_2929.jpeg
IMG_2928.jpeg

My classmate still talks to our Uncle Joe all the time. He sent me a care package from him too. The pack labeled “Uncle Joe” has some of his 1968 mango line as well as some his other favorite selections that he thought I should have. The one labeled “San Roque” is the village of San Rogue’s (North Side) mountain heirloom selection. And the one labeled “Local 2” is my Uncle Joe’s 1968 Licorice line.
A9B8BEA1-88CD-4FBE-9907-76A385A8CD80.jpeg
C34FA516-BDAC-4D2E-9FB9-2B5B7ED214FD.jpeg

My friend also sent another line (different than any of the ones that I have here) to Swami. Swami used it to make some BADASS looking NL hybrids!!
IMG_2677.jpeg
IMG_2675.jpeg

I’m crossing the 1968 Licorice IBL to SR71 Purple Kush BC1 F5 (which was gifted to me years ago by Guamanian Gardens).
IMG_3757.jpeg

That first picture instantly reminded me of a young larch tree. I really like that, being that it is so different. I bet the bud structure of quite loose/open when its done too hey?

IMG_6398.jpeg

Well I ended up with 7 of each (SR71 PK BC1 F5 & ‘68 Saipan Sativa). My uncle Joe is working on getting me more of all the lines so I can have more than 7 beans to work with in the future. I have some DOG f3 (definition of gas) in there too (Dogwalker OG x Headbanger).

The only ones that popped for me this time were the ‘68 Saipan: San Roque selection. I’ll receive new beans of the mango and licorice lines as soon as my uncle crops them (which will be a few months).

I’ll also have him send me better pics of his selections.

Back