Best Silica supplement for COCO

What's the best SILICA for COCO?

• Total voters

guerilla1277

freedom fighter
Hello fellow islanders and fellow coconuts :welcome:

I just finished up a round using Aptus' Fasilitor Silica supplement. There was a noticeable difference in almost every area... Yield, structure, stem strength and thickness, smell, taste and trichome coverage.

I had been using Dynagro Protekt Silica for years and honestly didn't know what I was missing. Now as I start to do the research into which silica product is the best overall, and which is the best bang for the buck, I'm hoping that my fellow islanders can give me their advice.

So far I think I'm down to three choices but I'm still learning. I'll put a couple up in a poll and see what shakes out.

Thanks in advance for the help. Take care and stay safe

guerilla

i hear Power Si is really good but expensive and won't mess with your ph it uses mono-silicic acid

i use Bloom Silica (yellow bottles) it's 53% potassium silicate and it raises my ph a full point or more.

i'll try the power si next.

peace,
OS

I hear your looking for silicilic acid which aptus actually has. That's the only silica that works for coco as it's readily available I think. Always costly in this form. I'm using some this run from local shop, can't recall brand name I've heard it referenced as. 3 ml per 5gal in veg. But it is doing nice things I think. Just hit it with 2nd treatment before bloom so will see.

Like you I use dyna gro. But after I finish this bottle think I will try the aptus stuff.

I hear your looking for silicilic acid which aptus actually has. That's the only silica that works for coco as it's readily available I think. Always costly in this form. I'm using some this run from local shop, can't recall brand name I've heard it referenced as. 3 ml per 5gal in veg. But it is doing nice things I think. Just hit it with 2nd treatment before bloom so will see.

OSA28 is siliclic acid also. i use it sparingly b/c it lowers my ph.

peace

Silicilic acid is the more plant available form of silicon that is in Osa and Fasilitator, compared to potassium silicate which is the compound form, but both forms will ionize in an aqueous solution into a silicate anion. So it really doesn't matter which form you use, /9 long as you are mindful of what that Si atom is bonded to. If you need more H+ (or lower your pH) then use silicilic acid. If you need more potassium then use the K2SiO3 form. Both are ionic compounds that become soluble in solution, so the source isn't really something that the plants will notice.

Another thing to note is that Si is used to strengthen cell walls, along with Calcium. Boric acid is required for the conversion of silicate into silicilic acid within the plant tissues, and there is a strong interrelation between Calcium, Boron, and Silicon. The aptus product also contains some form of Boron. Most people aren't getting enough Calcium and Boron to make their use of Silicon effective enough.

I am using a great Calcium Silicate product as a soil amendment, not excess potassium there. Also, diatomacious earth has loads of calcium and silica in it. There is also a soluble calcium silicate foliar product that a buddy of mine uses, been meaning to order some, forgot what it is called.

Personally, I have AgSil and Boric acid on hand always, and I keep my Calcium as high as possible and control and maintain potassium levels on the low side, to keep antagonism with calcium at bay.

OSA28 is siliclic acid also. i use it sparingly b/c it lowers my ph.

peace

Huh, that's funny because one of their selling points is that it DOESN'T effect pH.

Reed man- Aptus fasilitor is a blend of bioavailable silica, molybdenum and boron. So far it's the best silica product I have personally used. The feeding strength of fasilitor is 0.3 ml per 5 gallon, so that might be what u r using.

Weedy - I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND trying out one of these as a replacement for dynagro protect - power Si, Aptus Fasilitor or OSA 28. OSA has "samples" of half priced first orders, but it looks like they only offer that on the $170 & $300 bottles. I'm thinking of getting the 8oz for $170 which would be like 60% less than the 4oz from aptus. https://plantscienceconcepts.com/samples/

Aptus has a much better sample program...they offer 100ml of all their bottles (7 total) in a FREE "ambassador pack" when available. [email protected]

Thanks for the info and input. I'd really love to hear from someone who has actually used the power Si or OSA 28. I've seen some pretty crazy claims from supposed growers but I don't really trust it 100%

Take care and stay safe

guerilla

Last edited:
Snapper - fantastic advice and information for those just starting to look into silica products. It's a great point that silica is basically useless if your plants can't use it.

I would personally not really worry about exotic supplements if everything else (besides co2 in my case) wasn't dialed in. But if u are at that point and need something to put u over the top, then supplements like this might be worth looking into.

Thanks again

guerilla

Huh, that's funny because one of their selling points is that it DOESN'T effect pH....

i checked theph of my tap and using reagent drops it was a lil darker than 8.0, kinda green blue. i added .6 ml of OSA28 to 1 gal of tap and after the ph was 7.0.

im not sure why they say it doesnt change ph when its an acid.

peace

Back