best methods of storing harvest

Veggiedragon

I'm not sure this is the best place to ask, still a noob to the growing and the site, but I was wondering what is the best way to store harvest....I'm sure clips could have told me, and in great details as was his way lol but my first chance at this came too late for tapping into his vast knowledge. Mason jars and bags have kept things well, but the aromas are not near what I expected. Thanks for any ideas :)

In my experience, the most crucial factor of storage is the final moisture content of the flowers. If they are to dry when they go into storage, they won't retain aroma and flavor very well. We all know what happens when there is to much moisture also. Finding that fine line takes some practice.

I'm not sure this is the best place to ask, still a noob to the growing and the site, but I was wondering what is the best way to store harvest....I'm sure clips could have told me, and in great details as was his way lol but my first chance at this came too late for tapping into his vast knowledge. Mason jars and bags have kept things well, but the aromas are not near what I expected. Thanks for any ideas :)

Eckert, well ell bro, were freakin neighbors, just up the hill in cedarberry.

There are some bags the make to place in jars to keep moisture consistent, bovida packs I think there called, hungry lion in Austin cariries um.

thanks for the input : ) the odd thing is that some branches that had been forgotten about for months (hanging in a side room) turned out to have the best aroma and effects of all, even the same strain which had been jarred earlier - no idea why lol. I'll check the place in Austin !

Last edited:
2 week dry at 60%, whole plant. Throw um in mason with a 58% boveda for a week or two (or however long til you got what you want, no more than 6 months IMO). Then throw in freezer for a few hours, or a day (long enough for the air inside the jar to equalize with the freezer. Then take them out and without letting them warm up to much vacuum all the air outta jars then back into the freezer.

thanks for the input : ) the odd thing is that some branches that had been forgotten about for months (hanging in a side room) turned out to have the best aroma and effects of all, even the same strain which had been jarred earlier - no idea why lol. I'll check the place in Austin !

I think the “no cure below 63%” mindset can be misleading. I see that the aroma isn’t there like it is once it dips into the 50’s. That being said, some of the best smoke I’ve grown is from long cure with 63 bovida and then aired out to dry a bit before smoking.

Marmaduke, how are the 58’s?

the 58's are for long term and where its at IMO. While the 63 are a great stepping stone to slowly get there. I too have found with 63's you wanna leave the jar open for a bit depending on ambient rH.

:puffpuffpass:

I've been using gallon glass jars with boveda 63% for about a year now...what I harvested last spring tastes and smokes divinely...just as fresh, potent, and flavorful as a body could ask for...:thumbsup:

good question VegD..
I have a jar of some Cred ( maybe 1/2 z ) from 2011 that I've kept in my office desk drawer that's still in great shape considering..
for quantity I vacuum seal and keep it in a cool dark place but we all know that..
This year I had a leftover tub from last year I never got around to trimming and it seems to keep better with buds attached to the stems and branches..holds it's aroma and doesn't turn brown..

For storing large amounts of buds at harvest, outdoors, I have been using plastic bins, 4ft long ones. Leaving everything, minus big fans on the stem. Then get to um when I can, final jar after a dry trim.

This past season, I stretched Saran Wrap over the tops of the bin, I doubled it up. The bigger stuff they use packin pallets. Then used my vacuum pump and sucked a bunch of air out, can't get crazy, as you will suck the side walls in. Anyway it keeps much better with the wrap over the top.

Back