Baked Beans recipe

rosso reefo

pizza mystro
I tweaked it out a bit to my own taste..I like more bacon, less sugar and one less hour cooking time since I prefer the beans to have more texture and not mushy..also sometimes I'll replace the bacon with Italian sausage or Pancetta but this is the original recipe from Cooks Illustrated..it's up to you to make it to your own preference..
been making it for years and everyone loves it..throw those canned beans away or save em for the apocalypse..lol..

4 slices bacon, chopped fine
1 onion, minced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 pound of dried small white beans, rinsed and picked over..do not soak beans
8 cups of water
I cup of beer
1/2 cup of BBQ sauce..
1/4 cup of brown sugar
5 teaspoons of mustard..I prefer Dijon..
tabasco, salt and pepper to taste..I always add it towards the end..

heat oven to 300..
in a large dutch oven sizzle bacon until brown, throw in onions and stir until soft, about 5 minutes, add garlic and stir for a minute..
now add your water, beer, beans, BBQ sauce, mustard and bring it to a simmer while stirring and scrapping the bottom of the pot..
cover with lid and transfer to the oven..
bake, stirring every hour until the beans are tender..about 3 to 4 hours..
if to watery simmer it off on the top of your stove on a low simmer until it's the consistency that you like..I don't like em to thick but you might..
season with salt, tabasco and pepper to taste..
you can do so many variations on this recipe..add bell peppers, celery, chicken stock, Worcestershire sauce or what ever you like..if Vegan no meat..

cheers..

Yeah Big..it's hard to find a good BBQ sauce these days..corn syrup yuk, no thanks..
that's why I want to make my own with the over flow of maters in my freezers..

nice thing about cooking the beans in the oven is you don't have to stir em that often..guess a crock pot would work too but never tried it..

cheers..:cheerleader:

Thanx for the bean upgrade rosso,all I gotta omit is beer and bacon and I am good to go puffpufff...:puffpuffpass:

you can substitute the beer with coffee or apple juice GP..
anyway, the alcohol cooks off..

good info on white beans Big..

thanks..

I watch my local PBS channel very seldom, but I recorded this recipe off America's Test Kitchen, and let me tell ya..... It rocks! What's more it's really simple!

Backyard Barbeque Baked Beans

1.25lbs Bratwurst casing removed
6 slices extra thick bacon cut in 1" pieces
2 onions chopped
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup water
2tbls Spicy Brown Mustard
2tbls Apple Cider Vinegar
1tsp powdered garlic
1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 tsp Liquid Smoke
2-28oz cans Baked Beans
2-15oz cans Canelini Beans drained, and rinsed
2-15oz cans Pinto Beans drained, and rinsed
1-10oz can Rotell Tomatoes

Cook & break up uncased Bratwurst for 5 mins, add onions & brown well
Mix all liquid ingredients, and simmer for 5 mins
Add Beans, & Rotelle Tomatoes, and mix in sausage & onions
Mix well
Add all ingredients except the bacon to a 13"x9" baking pan on a cookie sheet.
Shingle the extra thick bacon pieces on top
Bake in the oven at 350 for 1.5 hours, and let cool for 15mins before serving

My wife & I tried this recipe cut in half. We ate it all weekend. We were really surprised that we didn't get any gas, and she guzzles beer like a Marine! :up: If gas is an issue, get some Beano! I can't stress the extra thick bacon enough. Also the liquid smoke really gave this dish a delicious extra smoky flavor. As if it really was baked in a smoker! This stuff is a meal in itself. We had BBQ Ribs with it too, but we just couldn't get enough of these beans! They're a bacon lovers dream come true!

I hope ya don't mind me putting this here Rosso. I just wanted to share this recipe so badly, because it's so good!

Back