Anyone want to guess what I did wrong??

I already know....but let's see if you can guess!!

Here's the rundown:

Making fresh frozen bubble
Froze fresh material approx. 2 days
Using a medium stock pot and lots of ice, I agitated plant material for 20 minutes. Drained through bags (took a lot longer than usual! *hint hint*)
Ran 2 more washes. Deeply dissatisfied with yield.

Now.....here I am. Or, here I've been for the last 3.5 hours!!

Let me know what you think!!

Attachments

• 20240104_213737.jpg
    20240104_213737.jpg
    794.6 KB · Views: 31
@Skitty is absolutely right!!!!

had the bags inside out and super-chilled the water by lowering the freezing temp. When I noticed it wasn't draining, I tried to squeeze to encourage it through, effectively shredding trichomes!! The added salt helped to create little micelles of cannabinoids and things got real soapy looking. I effectively created cannabinoid micro dots!!

I tried a few methods to recover the cannabinoids; I mixed some water in an alkaline solution then added an acid which helped bring the cannabinoids out of solution and settle. That was only ok and needed to do some refining to get rid of anything gross. The stockpot was an attempt to nucleate the cannabinoids into a solid that I could then collect. That surprisingly worked really well. Kept the water at about 160 F and slowly evaporated the solution until nucleation occurred!
Also! I do use 5 gals when processing a larger amount, but I had only a little so went with a 3 gallon instead. It was easier to move around and that 2 extra gallons of water would've been a pain to process. I did end up with a lot of good but not great hash so its looking like bowl filler or edibles is its destination.

Very easy to do, although I've never had that mishap occur myself. I took a permanent magic marker and numbered all the sets of bags I've ever owned so there is none of that shit! Inside out, outside in. Should make no difference. Mesh size is mesh size.
Another guess. Did you get high before you did any of it? That could very well have been your first mistake. At least until you know what you're doing.

my last run was fresh frozen bud and it was super sticky, plugged the sieves and had a meager yield. It stayed wicked greasy, sticky but burned like petroleum! I gave it away to my pal visiting and making the hash with me. No idea on the final result.

@alabaster man I wish I could blame it on being stoned. I would look much better in that story!🤣
Forcing all that hash from 25 to 220 instead of 220 to 25 was all done sober, which is probably a sign from the universe i should pay attention to.

I think the real culprit was using so much salt to super cool the material. Next time I want to go below freezing I'm just going to use liquid nitrogen I think. I am interested to see how brittle the trichomes get and how easily they come off. Ill have to play around with exposure time to minimize plant material, but I think I could get superb squish from it

Well, @kushyman , you got the stuff to try it. I would be stuck with trying to do a tiny mini attempt, with dispensary weed, that probably is too far 'mature' to do well. Plus, expensive as hell.

i thought you just ran your stuff through bubble bags ( 5 gallon bucket, bubble bags, ice and a paint stirrer attached to a power drill) and pressed it into a puck.......

what does the water and pot do? Trying to get rid of the chlorophyll?

sorry, I'm a bit behind the times..........

@Freakgood question! So I added a bunch of salt to super cool the water, I mean A LOT. Dropped to like 29/30 degrees. I was interested in playing around with sub frozen extractions. Salt is not the answer.

when chilling the water like, by adding the salt, and forcing through the 25um filter first. Forcing the super cool water and ionic water through the pores shredded bigger trichomes but was cold enough to form micelles. The water and heat was used to help break up the micelles and allow the cannabinoids to separate out of solution. Would not recommend it! If you could do it without so much salt you could theoretically make cannabinoid beverages.

I've tried using dry ice to make hash. It didn't work well. It just froze the water around it along with the herb. It doesn't have to be that cold. I like to keep it simple. Just ice and water works for me. There's no reason to reinvent the wheel. From my single experiment with fresh herb I found that the finished product was much too hard to handle and messy. I prefer to use dry herb that's put into the freezer for 2 hours. No more than that or you wind up with too much broken down leaf contamination. IOW I don't store it in the freezer.

I did a dry ice and water run on Friday and squished it yesterday and it was superb! Used dry cured trim, enough dry ice to get a cauldron feel with all the vapor coming off and 10 minute washes. Ended up with 5 grams of leftover hash and about 5 grams of squish. 2 grams of the squish is tooooop notch and the rest was darker and more what I'd expect from dry cured wash. I was super happy with the results! The first couple of washes seemed much better than just the ice and water, but I did make sure my dry ice was in small chunks before adding.

Back