Another Curing Question.....

Snookster

Hello to all..

I'm trying to do my 1st long cure in my jars. My question is, how long must I keep popping my jar lids? I pop them everyday now, but for the long-term, must the lids keep getting popped ?

At some point is that stopped? Looked in the Curing section and couldn't find the answer I'm looking for.

What's your take on it??

Thanks

Snookster

Good question Snook. I am sure you are gonna get different answers to the question. One thing I can say for sure is if you are doing a long term cure in which you are gonna leave things buttoned up for long term is.....make sure it is dry before you do that.

Some might recommend boveda packs. I personally don't like them. They are supposed to keep the humidity at a constant like 60%. I am sure some swear by them.

I try not to have product around long term but I will always pop a jar and check in on it from time to time. I have also heard that after about 6 months or so the product starts to loose smell and taste. I have not experienced this but as I indicated I want it gone before this happens.

Bottom line.....spongy pot long term creates mold.

I'm a huge fan of cured weed. IMO, if you're smokin all day, everyday, curin aint for you...you're prolly not gonna notice a significant difference.

If you're still burpin, that's dryin...you're really not curin till you're past the dryin stage...once dry, close the jar an keep em in the dark..that's curin...IMO.

Well said Annaba. My pot never sees daylight once chopped and you ain't curing until the jars are closed.

Interesting! Yeah, the pot is dried enough IMHO. I DO use Bovida packs as I still have a very slight "spongy" feel of my pot. Not spongy wet, not damp, just a nice feel to it. Unlike dried straw-like pot. My idea of long-term curing is roughly 2-3 months. After that, I can't take anymore & will start smoking the buds. LOL

I have only 2 jars that I want to set aside for this project. I'll let you know what the final outcome is.

Thanks everyone!

That is why I don't like them....

Boards for long term

I never understood Boveda packs??? If the jar is sealed, the moisture content can not change...I jus never got the Boveda packs...maybe I'm missin somethin?

Agreed. I use boveda to GET TO that 60% number Instead of burping. I agree it’s slightly “too moist” for smoking. But I use it for the interim jars.
My storage is as follows:
Slow dry/hang wet trimmed flowers from harvest day.
Once “dry enough” to jar, I now go straight to jars with boveda. Trusting that if the buds were still too wet to jar, boveda handles it. Loss of terps? Not yet. Stay with me.
Once I’m sure they’re in that 60% zone I try and vac pack tight. Sucking excess air out. No boveda. This is long term, cellar/crawlspace storage. 1/4 oz as I don’t get many chances these days and that’s about right for me to open a single strain. Less if I have variety. And. I boveda is not needed anymore and I’ve read (sort of feel) it hurts flavor if stored long term with flowers. So I don’t.

Once I cut open the vac they go into a jar with a boveda. Likely those flowers coming out are still close to boveda moisture levels. I pull a few nugs or grams from boveda jar into a even smaller sample jar. No boveda. This is where I pull from to consume. Within a few days or few jar openings, the bud has dried past boveda range to where I like it. Drier.

That’s it. Use boveda to help dry and then protect some moisture but I agree too wet for final stage. And if you’re good at drying and burping no boveda necessary. Too many shared crops with my partner failed bc he got lazy or forgot. Boveda is drying for dummies. (Like me). And then protects some moisture right up until a few days before consumption. Too many crumbly dry jars in my past. I find I never go back to them when a newer jar with some moisture appears... now it’s all moist enough and I take the oldest out first.

Maybe that helps Annaba. Maybe not.
Works for little ol me.
Fh

Great info. I have found that if you are dealing with the older crowd you better have your shit together when it comes to trimming and dry/cure techniques. Younger peeps aren't as picky. IMO.

I try and do at least a 30 day dry/cure in total darkness starting out at 60% slowly dropping to 50% with temps in the mid 60's. While hanging once in jars it is a spongy crispy thing.

Only thing I disagree with here is I don't smoke joints....after 3 or so hits it is like smoking ash. A good clean pipe/hitter will maintain the taste a bit longer.

Funny you bring this up.. while over visiting brother Boo I was looking at these packets
inside each jar.. and how last visit he wasn't using them so we talked about the diff... seems to keep the weed fresh and keeps it from drying out so bad the buds just crumble. they sell them in diff % levels to suit each persons needs.. I was amazed how high they were too... over 50% but cannot recall exactly, sorry..

Also, we talked about the Chocolate Trip because it's my wife's favorite strain for her pains.. Boo mentioned how when he jarred it up MONTHS ago , he wasn't to impressed with it. But after a good 6mo or so cure how it's properties changed drastically and brought things to life so to speak.. slept like a baby he said.

Curing with for sure bring out flavors you otherwise will never experience. burping it the first 30 days or so assures the harsh green chit that makes ya cough is evaporated away and smooths the weed out, brings out the natural flavors and seems to increase the high a bit... it's a good thing. :adore:

I use paper bags to help the drying process. Seems to keep the moisture levels more even. From bag to jar is a very smooth process. Much less burping. I think the bags make the buds taste better than non bagged.

I agree CBGB. I hang them until the branches start to snap. Then two day or so in paper bags and then into jars.

Yep. Often I think it’s dry and after a few days of burping the finger test is moist. I pop them back in a paper bag overnight , then back in jars . Once fully past the point of being able to mold and rot in about a month, I throw an oxygen pack ( the ones that absorb oxygen) and leave them in jars in the dark.

I think the best thingabout the bovida packs (whatever your humidity preference) is that they provide a stable environment for pre-curing. My humidity is around 35% most of the time and I like that I can burp my turkey bags daily witout losing moisture content of my buds. They’re also great for being back the pop to over dried flowers. also they will dry down flowrers that are still moist if they are within range.

I have found the 63% they sell at the stores is too wet to get the flavor and burn I like but with a short dry before smoking they will be spot on.

How long/ how often do you guys burp before sealing up for long term storage? I store as much as I can in a fridge

I use the boveda 62% bags and as carty said, I really like 'em...I've begun not smoking my recent harvests but only last years grow...they improve the taste dramatically and keeps the buds very rollable for joints but a little too moist for the volcano...I've noticed all strains lose the green color and turn brown to red pretty quick...I've got about 15 strains steeping while I bug out, most are left overs from last year...and yes, I have no doubt that the smoke is far smoother and a better buzz with legs that when first harvested...:2c:

Is this thread about curing or drying? Seems more like drying.

Curing affects the smell of fresh cannabis by breaking down chlorophyll, removing the noticeable taste of hay or grass. If you grew a strain that is known to cause anxiety or coughing, the process of curing could also reduce this effect.
For me, the minimum cure is 2 months since I store more than needed. I've dug up some of my ice chests and while the flavor has decreased a bit (terpenes), the potency is right there. It also seems to smooth the harshness out. Another reason for curing is to prevent mold or mildew.

My normal process is hanging in the dark for four days. Buds cut and jarred.
First 2 weeks, burp every night. Second 2 every other day. Third weeks once a week, then the last once a month. By that time, the buds should be spongy.
If too wet, bag dry then back in jar.
If too dry, tortilla shell
After 2 months, they either stay in jars or get vac sealed, in ice chest and buried.

What pisses me off though is when I initially hang the plants. Normally I can get my "4 day" window but with our weather changing, last run dried over night. Once buds get too dried out, you cannot perform curing even with added moisture. The cells of chlorophyll are dead and cannot be revived. However, that's a drying isssue rather than a curing issue.

Boveda paks? Don't use them, just the above method.

In summary:
First two weeks....pop daily
Second two.... every other day
Third....once a week
Fourth.... once monthly
Done

Great replies

.02 I am referring to 10 - 25 plants indoors or 6-8 outdoors, which is about my average.

Remove all fan leaves not to be used days ahead.
Cut branches from the plant, trim and hang for 2-4 days depending on environment and bud size.
Finish trimming buds and put into paper bags to afford equal drying of large and small buds.
When 'close' to final dryness put into jars to be checked and burped regularly.
After a few weeks the weed goes into zips and into the bottom/rear of the refrigerator.
Stash stays in jars and the weed gets moved to smaller jars as needed. :sniff:

this a little tid bit so may be hard to process,,,the columbian gold and red bud the field finish loads were at 35 to 70 tons at a time and each bud was perfectly cured with no green left not all loads were green free and each bud would have 3 to 7 seeds in it,,, so think back 40 years they had to take male pollen and paint brush each plant bud perfectly by hand then cure 60 thousand pounds to a nice hashy golden red color how was this done?

some guy told us this in colombia in77

"they dumped them in plastic lined pits and did the water[lady clairol cure]"

they had seeds in them because they didn't get all the males out in time

fkk thats good seedless weed..we never saw that up here

Great info. I have found that if you are dealing with the older crowd you better have your shit together when it comes to trimming and dry/cure techniques. Younger peeps aren't as picky. IMO.

I try and do at least a 30 day dry/cure in total darkness starting out at 60% slowly dropping to 50% with temps in the mid 60's. While hanging once in jars it is a spongy crispy thing.

Only thing I disagree with here is I don't smoke joints....after 3 or so hits it is like smoking ash. A good clean pipe/hitter will maintain the taste a bit longer.

Just my opinion, buti disagree unless you keep your glass very clean. The flavors i get out of my smoke come through with a nicely rolled J. I roll mine with a cheater/rolled up paper tip and I have been rolling them fairly thin and the flavor continues throughout the J for me. Just my experience, but I hate hitting a bowl that's not immaculately clean - tastes like burned up ashtray. Also, i hate the thought of having to ditch a nice glass piece or it being confiscated.confiscated, since I'm not in the land of the Free like many of y'all are.

Back