An expensive tent floor hack

WrinkledNugSack

Personally I don't like to have anything in the tent that can cause problems down the way or harbour any unwanted critters or residues.

I want everything except the absolute necessary items to lack porosity except the the soil, fabric pots, etc.

So in the effort to maintain a clean environment I coughed up a bit of cash for some of the 1/4" polyethylene Puckboard. In Canada this stuff is $120.00 for a 4x8x1/4" sheet locally, but I managed to get mine at a significant reduction because the guy didn't know what he had, and just wanted to get rid of it.

I cut off a 5' length for the floor of my tent and it has been a rather welcomed hack in that if/ when I use the plastic pot elevators that are commonly sold in the grow stores in the Prairies to place my plants on, they are much easier to slide around on the tent floor. (So just to clarify, I have the plant in a fabric pot, the fabric pot in a Dollar Store wash tub (in case something goes wrong watering), the tub sits on the plastic pot riser/elevator, and I slide them around on the floor as needed. A freshly watered plant would be similar to sliding a curling rock across the ice when you're in the hack preparing for the next shot... how's that for a Canadian comment!

In some areas of the world, you might/could for-go the riser, but here in Canada, the soil temperature can easily be effected by the cold coming up from a basement floor. The riser allows air to act as an insulator and maintains a soil temperature that is more amenable for the plant. I have used the 2" high density building insulation (cut into circles) between the tub and the floor, but they don't slide around as easily; but it certainly does insulate. I suppose a person could get a hand full of the "tack type" furniture sliders and put them on the bottom of the high density insulation and this would work just as well. Availability is key to the direction I would take... and cheaper tends to be my choice.

I'm certain that many of the readers have realized that there is a 1 foot void at the back of the tent as I have described, but it doesn't have any effect on the general purpose of this hack. I mount my fan centred on the back wall of the tent using a strip of Puckboard vertically. I also use a strip of Puckboard to hold a 4' fused light bar across the top back of the tent. All the goodies are plugged into this main light bar. So by the time, you leave an area for the fan to swing, so as to not hit the plants, and the plant canopy overhanging the edge of the pot, this 1' void in Puckboard for the floor is irrelevant.

I expect that some people use and have gotten away with using plywood, but it doesn't clean like plastic does and can harbour pets and residues. The plastic makes clean up easier and if you have ever had a male in the tent, it makes cleaning the pollen from the tent that much easier too.

But for what it is, it is an expensive hack and not for someone on a budget grow... it would be one of the very last things I would invest in.

Agree that cold basement floors can do bad things to the root zones of pots!

My hack was to purchase a 4x8x1" sheet of foamboard, and a 4x8 sheet of lauan plywood to lay on top of it, both of which go UNDER the tent, between it and the floor (the lauan is a hard surface on top of the foam, allowing me to step into the tent). Seems to work pretty well.

Test your soil temperature is all I can say as "the best advice" for anyone who might look at these posts... and of course the best soil temperature for you, may not be the best for someone else... OR your cultivar.

However, having said that, a basement floor in Canada can draw a significant amount of cold into your soil/medium if the pots are sitting directly on the floor. (Slow growth is just one of the negative effects a cool soil tempt might have.)

I always recommend a thermal temperature gun for testing... right after you test your soil/pot, you can test your leaf surface temp too... your water before you douse your plants, etc. etc. etc.

Yeah, that's another thing: water temperature. Obviously if you're doing any kind of hydro, cold water temps are an issue. But even in soil/coco, if your water is cold it's going to have a negative effect on the root zone. I try to achieve around 75-80 F water temp. Too warm and you lose dissolved oxygen, but too cold and you retard growth.

That is slick! I wonder if I need to add more something under the tent in the basement. I used these to get it off the concrete. They were free but I think they’re pretty reasonable price anyways. View attachment 359674
With all due respect and bear in mind some people wouldn't even give this a second thought, but I prefer to not have anything porous in my tent so that pollen, critters or biologicals have a place to hide... but "free" is always hard to pass up in my realm!

With all due respect and bear in mind some people wouldn't even give this a second thought, but I prefer to not have anything porous in my tent so that pollen, critters or biologicals have a place to hide... but "free" is always hard to pass up in my realm!
Agreed! These are under the tent and frame so it’s all outside the tent nicely.

It's obvious I didn't read your post very well did I?...

The next move I make is to laminate a couple of sheets of plywood together with P-L Premium and some cross-bracing, then put the entire thing on caster wheels (probably more than 4), so I can simply push the entire tent out of the way for cleaning, etc. I would have already done this, but I don't have enough vertical head space to accommodate an elevated 5x5 in my current basement.

I have a workout mat under my tent. It's kind of like wetsuit material. It works pretty good. 2 layers would be better, but I only had 1, so that's what I went with, lol.

The amount of "insulation" required would always be dependent on the environment of course... I have a hard time trying to imagine a better use for a "workout mat"!

Like most exercise bikes, treadmills, steppers, they have a primary use and it's NOT exercise... they are used to hang stuff on; mostly clothing.

I'd bet that most treadmills get used more often by the pets in the family, not the owner! Ha ha

The amount of "insulation" required would always be dependent on the environment of course... I have a hard time trying to imagine a better use for a "workout mat"!

Like most exercise bikes, treadmills, steppers, they have a primary use and it's NOT exercise... they are used to hang stuff on; mostly clothing.

I'd bet that most treadmills get used more often by the pets in the family, not the owner! Ha ha
Yes, my tent is in my basement. It rocks a steady 60 F temp all winter long. Which was great during the end of flower and drying. It allowed me to gradually reduce temps with my cheap heater until I basically turned the heater off near the end.

And yes, I have a $600 clothes hanger in my house also, lol.

Have you an idea what your soil temps are throughout the winter? It sounds like you and I have a similar ambient temps, but my humidity levels fluctuate wildly throughout the year.

My concern(s) with soil temps is that: (All IMHO) 1. Growing in soil does slow the growth of "my cultivars" to begin with; especially when young 2. Cool or cold (to the plant) soil temps also slow plant growth (most cultivars I think) 3. If you are somewhat lazy like I am at times, I don't always keep my water jug off the floor, and they sometimes get a splash (shock) of cold water in "what might also be cold soil" to boot.

Now all this might be advantageous in that it may drive resin production (cultivar dependent IMHO), but I think most people would agree that keeping the soil (medium) above 18 C and lower than 25 C (probably cooler) would be a more acceptable range... and this soil temp likely effects the micro-biology more than it does effect the plant's ability to uptake nutrients efficiently.

Leaf temps are also quite imperative to some people and I do/did check my "lights-on" leaf temps early in my growing experience. However, there are some things that I am not willing to spend the extra cash to try to control, and as long as they are within "what I consider a reasonable range", I don't worry about it... like relative humidity. Let's face it, cannabis grows at a wide range of elevations, temperatures, moisture levels, soil qualities, etc. etc. in the natural world. Changing or "optimizing" the environment would be a challenge or prohibitive for most home growers (cost wise), and I know from my own experience I would still miss one thing or another in most, if not likely all grow cycles.

As an example of what I am trying to get at, have you ever had to lay on your back on a garage floor under a vehicle repairing it for more than a couple hours? Even at "normal" room temps, you can easily draw moisture and cold through the floor and end up with back-aches for a few days. That said; if you have a cultivar that is a lanky/stretchy beast, perhaps a cooler soil temp may control the stretch to some degree... but I wouldn't want to state that as fact, as I have never had a cultivar like that and have never intentionally tried it out.

I went on a bit of a rant here, not in particular to your response @capdistdank (I'm sure you know what you are doing), but more for a new grower who may trip over this thread.

Shit, I am pretty much a new grower! Lol. I just started seeds for my third grow. I never even thought about checking the temp of my soil. That's a lot of good information you just layed on me. I was a mechanic for years, so I do know what you're saying about the cold seeping into you after laying on it for a while. I don't really stress about my environment too much, but it's pretty easy these days, with the technology available, to keep things close enough. Thanks for the wisdom. That's what I love about this forum. You're actually getting advice from knowledgeable people, rather than Facebook groups that love to suggest you need more Cal Mag, lol.

At one time, I'd buy every new fangled do-dad that would pop up on the market, and now I adopt the principal that "less is more" and allow the genetics to express themselves. My grow changed a lot when I realized that I have "low light tolerant cultivars" and paid more attention to PH levels in every watering and looked after the micro-biology, not the soil itself.

I read everything that I can, but question the validity of adapting anything new... "if it ain't broke..."

... and what is invaluable in one person's grow, may be a waste of time and money for mine; based on resources and time...

Lastly, I fully accept that in EVERY grow, I'm going to "mess" something up; I'm old and at times lazy, and I can overlook something very easily.

Love the CalMag thing... to me it just means to study and question everything you are doing to find the right answer.

Back