18mm bowl/stem glass on glass connectors

Jammaster

So I'm going to get into glass blowing. I haven't bought anything yet but I'm preparing to invest in the hobby. I've been watching a few glass blowing videos on youtube, and have cruised through some threads here, and was wondering...how do you make the glass on glass connections commonly found on bongs? Most of my pieces have 18mm connections, I would like to make them myself, but I haven't seen any info about the connectors.

The pieces I have look like the connection are sandblasted...are they?

hmmm I wonder if "ground" has any connection to how they are made.

Are you asking on how to use them?

If you are asking how to make them I don't think you would really want to go this route since you can buy them for 50 cents to 2 bucks each.

hmmm I wonder if "ground" has any connection to how they are made.

Are you asking on how to use them?

If you are asking how to make them I don't think you would really want to go this route since you can buy them for 50 cents to 2 bucks each.

Nice, what are the technical terms for em' and where can I buy them?

And no I'm not asking how to use them haha.

Thanks for the answers everyone. I'm a little embarrassed to read through this thread again, because I never got into glass blowing. Much respect to those who do. It looks like it takes a lot of time, money, and sweat to get to anywhere in glassblowing and I was and am too cheap and lazy to give it a try. :pale:

Tryin out Glassblowing

Thanks for the answers everyone. I'm a little embarrassed to read through this thread again, because I never got into glass blowing. Much respect to those who do. It looks like it takes a lot of time, money, and sweat to get to anywhere in glassblowing and I was and am too cheap and lazy to give it a try. :pale:

I work in a cooperative studio facility for glass and ceramics artists
We offer classes there for all levels of glass and ceramics working.

Checking around for a similar studio in your area, you might find classes locally. Nothin better than takin a short, reasonably priced class to get a feel for a thing and see if you like it, without having to buy all the tools.
Setting up for even just benchworking/lampworking takes quite a bit of hardware and special dedicated space.

Yup I have a torch and half the stuff to get going, costs a a lot to enter the glass biz and returns on investments are getting slimmer.. I think about what else I could put in the space of the hardware.. A beer brewing station, I thinks... A real close friend has been blowing great peices for 10+ yrs and says its so hard to compete w the factory stuff that he's getting out. The days of custom handblown artisan glass @ the head shop are endangered; all the good stuff will be custum from your old school blower homie. Everyone wants perfect factory lathed toro bongs that a blind man could turn out... Precision minus the personality.
The glass unions come from factory work, for a close glass on glass connection they sandblast it.

Everyone wants perfect factory lathed toro bongs that a blind man could turn out...

come on now.. u know thats not true. JP is one of the best tube artists in the world, and thats why people want his tubes. they hit like nothing out on the market. like most artists he has his production tubes, and his custom tubes.

these photos are mild to what this guy can do..

Last edited:
yea blind man prob not, your right, but any blower who spends a lot of time behind the torch is or will be.. Give me a straight tube or beaker, snoddy or some gold/silver fume.. Multi color rods make reverse axis cake for blowers who are behind on skill curve. Not saying JP has no talent, but those tubes won't make it into my collection space. That copper electroplating doesn't impress me nearly as much as good latticino work. Many times it is to hide a shitty job on the glass work. Am I the only one who finds the new designs hard to keep clean, prone to breakage, and the damn multi-percolators just make your lungs work too hard? I guess if your smoking stress those multiple chambers come in handy :jester:.

came upon this old thread...
Jammaster, did you ever try glassblowing?
StoneyPufnstuff, are you doin glass?
Any other glass blowers out there with feedback on market trends... ?

Attachments

• sil.tw.sm.jpg
    sil.tw.sm.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 62
Check out dbkglasscreations.com
Dylan has some mad skills and has done some amazing custom order pieces. I've known him for close to 10 years and he is constantly improving and exploring new possibilities. They recently added a lathe to the shop and have begun a new line of bongs.

Back